Friday 30 June 2023

Nicola Hicks: Always On My Mind

Always On My Mind (Part 2) opens Thursday 31st of August 2023 and features the work of 16 artists including:  


Nicola Hicks




What’s always on your mind these days and is it having an impact on your art work?

Nicola Hicks: “Money, how to keep the show in the road, how to get it keep it manage it, and is it worth it”

Can you name an art exhibition, art book or artist that changed the way you think?

“I'm 63 and a prodigious reader so it's not possible to identify a single shocker, this year, heavy light by Horatio Clair is the book. It speaks of humanity and the mind which is much the same as art. And Anslem Kiefer at white cube which is maddeningly good and jealousmaking. Tracy Emin’s doors at the N.P.G are a tremendous lurch in the right direction, allowing artist to have authority, and the perfect balance to all the photography inside. My mum is gone and I miss her every day, we had a complicated relationship I trawl my memories of her to fill the gaps of all the conversations not had. We used to walk to the pond to feed the ducks. She walked fast, I held her hand, I didn't have to look where I was going I could turn my head right and look at the trees on the material inside my hood which I preferred. It was a structured walk with a purpose which I loved. Without her I amble . I've drawn the ducks.”

When the critic Jerry Saltz was recently asked what it is he’s looking for in art he answered “A sense of necessity, someone working in their own voice, doing what they can’t not do.” Do you relate to his way of thinking and do you think your own work is something you just can’t not do?

“I think artists are like a displaced tribe, recognising each other when we meet, liking each other or not but delighted by our kind.”


The opening party for Always on my Mind Part 2 is Thursday 31st August 6pm till 9pm at Fitzrovia Gallery, 139 Whitfield Street W1T 5EN


No comments:

Post a Comment