Friday 30 June 2023

Edie Flowers: Always On My Mind

 Always On My Mind (Part 2) opens Thursday 31st of August 2023 and features the work of 16 artists including: 

 
Edie Flowers


What’s always on your mind these days and is it having an impact on your art work?

Edie Flowers: “I’m currently in the first cohort of a brand new residency in the south east of England. It’s a completely immersive and challenging experience, almost like an artist’s boot camp. I’m using the time to experiment and make work that feels important. The uncertainty of life and the pressure to make good decisions is always encroaching.” 

Can you name an art exhibition, art book or artist that changed the way you think?

Brazillian artist Beatriz Milhazes has a retrospective of collected works in the UK on show at the Turner Contemporary, Margate. The show is a powerful and politically activated experience which urges its audience to spend time and think. I’ve been a couple of times and each time I learn something new about the work or the way I think.”

What work(s) are you thinking of putting in the "Always On My Mind Part 2" exhibition?

“When Harry first approached me to be a part of the show I had just completed a series of work on Headaches. I was trying to imagine what certain headaches felt like whilst playing with the aesthetic of etching, a medium I struggle with due to sensitive skin.”

When the critic Jerry Saltz was recently asked what it is he’s looking for in art he answered “A sense of necessity, someone working in their own voice, doing what they can’t not do.” Do you relate to his way of thinking and do you think your own work is something you just can’t not do?

“I think Jerry has summed it up perfectly there. The time you put into your work is always evident, the love, hate, blood, sweat and tears are always visible.”



The opening party for Always on my Mind Part 2 is Thursday 31st August 6pm till 9pm at Fitzrovia Gallery, 139 Whitfield Street W1T 5EN



No comments:

Post a Comment