Friday 30 June 2023

Clare Chapman: Always On My Mind

Always On My Mind (Part 2) opens Thursday 31st of August 2023 and features the work of 16 artists including: 

Clare Chapman 

Q) What’s always on your mind these days and is it having an impact on your art work? 

Clare Chapman: “Loss. Yes it does have an impact. I think my paintings are an attempt to create something I desire, so they come out of this sort of gap, or try to fill it.”

Q) Can you name an art exhibition, art book or artist that changed the way you think? 

Andy Warhol’s From A to B and Back Again. Especially the chapter on cleaning blinds.” 

Q) The National Brain Appeal provide much-needed funds to support The National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery and the UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology – together known as Queen Square. This is one of the world’s leading centres for the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with neurological and neuromuscular conditions. These include stroke, multiple sclerosis, brain cancer, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and dementia. Have you or your loved ones ever suffered with any of these things?

“My grandmother had Alzheimer’s, I remember being so frustrated with her that she couldn't remember what day it was. I didn't understand it at the time. She was a beautiful, kind woman.” 

When the critic Jerry Saltz was recently asked what it is he’s looking for in art he answered “A sense of necessity, someone working in their own voice, doing what they can’t not do.” Do you relate to his way of thinking and do you think your own work is something you just can’t not do? 

“Absolutely. It's a completely obsessive and compulsive pre-occupation, and a bit crazy.  I could paint anything and I wonder why I don't or can't.  These things just keep popping back as if there is nothing else in the world they could be.



The opening party for Always on my Mind Part 2 is Thursday 31st August 6pm till 9pm at Fitzrovia Gallery, 139 Whitfield Street W1T 5EN



No comments:

Post a Comment