Wednesday 28 June 2023

Kim James-Williams: Always On My Mind

 Always On My Mind (Part 2) opens Thursday 31st of August 2023 and features the work of 16 artists including:

Kim James-Williams


Q) What’s always on your mind these days and is it having an impact on your art work? 

Kim James-Williams: "What's always on my mind? Turning 50 really brings life into focus: parents getting old and children leaving home prompts a new chapter. I swim in the sea every day, which puts everything into perspective. The cold water holds me up and surrounds me; there's no room for thinking about anything else except body and breath. It's that sensation that I'm looking for when I'm drawing."

Q) Can you name an art exhibition, art book or artist that changed the way you think? 

"I'm like a kid in a sweet shop where art is concerned, I fall in love with every new exhibiton I visit and so it's hard to choose one. I liked Lynette Yadom-Boake a lot, the way she keeps the paint alive and the way she uses tone so well. I always have a tsundoku of books on the go, I'm enjoying 'Modernists and Mavericks'."

Q) What work are you thinking of putting in the "Always On My Mind Part 2" exhibition? 

"I think Always On My Mind 2 will have ink drawings of people who are important to me at the moment. Things fell transient. Maybe my daughter Seren and my Mum, at present I'm very aware of being the middle of three generations of women."

Q) The National Brain Appeal provide much-needed funds to support The National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery and the UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology – together known as Queen Square. This is one of the world’s leading centres for the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with neurological and neuromuscular conditions. These include stroke, multiple sclerosis, brain cancer, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and dementia. Have you or your loved ones ever suffered with any of these things?

"My beautiful cousin Diane died of MND which was so cruel. It makes me think, be glad of every day on this mortal coil, enjoy your body and what it can do, find joy where you can.  I get migraines, whichh come suddenly without warning like an unplanned firework display. They mix up my words and spatial awareness but the time where I lie in the dark to banish the flashing lights can be quite creative as all I can do is daydream."

Q) When the critic Jerry Saltz was recently asked what it is he’s looking for in art he answered “A sense of necessity, someone working in their own voice, doing what they can’t not do.” Do you relate to his way of thinking and do you think your own work is something you just can’t not do? 

"Jerry was on it. This year for me has been so hectic juggling three teaching jobs and family, I've hardly had time to draw properly annd I feel like I'm floating slightly above the earth, feet not properly grounding. It's like I forget who I am a bit if I don't draw. In my work I'm aiming to make the medium and the subject of equal importance. In that way, drawing and painting puts me in touch with what I really think about something, in a way that verbal thought doesn't."


The opening party for Always on my Mind Part 2 is Thursday 31st August 6pm till 9pm at Fitzrovia Gallery, 139 Whitfield Street W1T 5EN

No comments:

Post a Comment