Sunday 27 September 2020

Four More Reasons to come and visit John Lennon Is Not Dead at The Stash Gallery

John Lennon Is Not Dead is an exhibition taking place at The Stash Gallery inside Vout-O-Reenee's. The exhibition features contributions from 80 esteemed artists who have either made a new work or unearthed something special to celebrate the 80th anniversary of John Lennon's birth. Four of the artists said a few words about what they're contributing...


(Above) Max Reeves: “In the Spring of 2015 my Great Friend and Beatles fan Charles and I went to Liverpool to do the Beatles run. I was never a particular Beatles person but Strawberry Fields has always resonated with me and as we ticked off the sites it was the Iconic Red Gates that I particularly responded to. It's 'unofficialness'. I love the democratic spontaneity of the graffiti that turns this portal into a living shrine as well. The song too is a portal into a hazy dream world where nothing makes sense. Nothing is real. As I write this Charles lays dying of an unclear combination of Corona virus and cancer. He may have a week. I think, er, no, I mean, er, yes. But it's all wrong.”


(Above) Josie McCoy:"
I painted this photo of John Lennon as a teddy boy because it reminds me of a Polaroid of my dad that we have in an old family photo album. I grew up listening to the Beatles and my all time favourite song is ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ which my dad’s rock and roll band used to cover."

(Above) Kyle Hawkins: "I always loved the indoor scenes filmed for Imagine and the ethereal feeling it creates. Yoko slowly walks around the room opening the shutters, removing darkness by letting the light in. The greens from outside filter through, bringing in colour,set against an achromatic interior."  


(Above)Chalkie Davies: "John Lennon was a big fan of the NME and had it sent by Airmail to the Dakota Building each week. He also wrote in to the letters page under the pseudonym Dr Winston O’Boogie. So in 1979 I went to the Dakota to simply take a photo of the entrance to his building for the paper. I had no idea that the following year he would be gunned down in cold blood at this very spot.

John Lennon’s Not Dead will feature; drawings, paintings, photography, and collage. There will also be some specially made music and animation and some surprise performances. Because of social distancing there will be 4 Fab gatherings (some of which will be filmed and then shared on You Tube) rather than one big opening party. The Stash Gallery is inside Vout-O-Reenee's, The Crypt, 30 Prescot St, E1 8BB. Please note this celebration of John Winston Ono Lennon is unauthorized and 100 % unofficial.  Vout-O-Reenee's is a private members club and pre booking is essential. http://vout-o-reenees.com/events/john-lennon-is-not-dead-hes-80/ Buy your tickets: HERE

The show opens on Friday 2nd Oct and closes on the 28th Oct. Vout-O-Reene's is open Tues -Sat 3pm till 10pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment