Thursday 3 September 2020

Four More Fab Artists Discuss John Lennon

John Lennon Is Not Dead is an exhibition taking place at The Stash Gallery inside Vout-O-Reenee's. The exhibition features contributions from 80 esteemed artists who have either made a new work or unearthed something special to celebrate the 80th anniversary of John Lennon's birth. Four of the artists said a few words about what they're contributing...

Louise Camrass: “John Lennon expresses what is so difficult. I’m so empty, I’m wracked, all the stuffing has been taken out of me, I’m raw, I feel like a nothing, I’ve blown it, I hate that I need you, I hate that I am jealous, I hate that I hurt. I want to be out of this. ‘I was dreaming of the past and my heart was beating fast – I began to lose control, I began to lose control, I didn’t mean to hurt you, I’m sorry that I made you cry, I didn’t mean to hurt you, I’m just a jealous guy.’ Humanity is all there and I love that.”


Peter Lloyd: “My digital print is titled, The Daily Howl by Not the John’s. After achieving and enjoying super stardom, John grew tired and began to crave anonymity. In a bid to regain some normality he adopted a number of pseudonyms that allowed him to check into hotels, jam and record with friends and cause trouble without having to be a Beatle. This image is a portrait of John and his influences told through a 4 piece band called Not the John’s (first album, The Daily Howl). Each member of the band is one of John’s many aliases. From left to right we have the Reverend Fred Ghurkin (seated), Johnny Rhythm, Fred Zimmerman, and the indomitable Dr. Winston O’Boogie.”

Edward Ward: “My drawing is called, Isn't it Good? I have no idea what I was trying to achieve.The woman in it is Maureen Cleave, who is one of an oft-speculated two people that Norwegian Wood may have been written about though she denies it.”

Sarah Doyle: “My painting is called Cat Kiss John Lennon. John Lennon was a cat lover since his childhood, growing up with 3 cats, he would cycle to the fishmongers each day to pick up fish scraps for his beloved pets. My painting is from a lovely photo of him with his cat affectionately bopping noses together, something cats will only do with trusted friends. I think this is probably one of the ten cats he owned when he was with his wife Cynthia."

John Lennon’s Not Dead will feature; drawings, paintings, photography, and collage. There will also be some specially made music and animation and some surprise performances. Because of social distancing there will be 4 Fab gatherings (some of which will be filmed and then shared on You Tube) rather than one big opening party. The Stash Gallery is inside Vout-O-Reenee's, The Crypt, 30 Prescot St, E1 8BB. Please note this celebration of John Winston Ono Lennon is unauthorized and 100 % unofficial.  Vout-O-Reenee's is a private members club and pre booking is essential. http://vout-o-reenees.com/events/john-lennon-is-not-dead-hes-80/ Buy your tickets: HERE

The show opens on Friday 2nd Oct and closes on Wednesday 28th Oct. Vout-O-Reene's is open Tues -Sat 5pm till Late.


No comments:

Post a Comment