Wednesday 15 March 2023

Lust For Life at The Lexington on Pentonville Road on Sunday March 12

The Lexington is an award winning London boozer that's 5 minutes walk from Angel tube. On 12/03/23 I went there and had a blast watching watching Glen Matlock, Katie Puckrik, Clem Burke, Kevin Armstrong, Luis Correia, Florence Sabeva, and Steve Norman celebrate the 45th anniversary of Iggy Pop's classic album 'Lust For Life.' It was their last show the band had previoulsy played the same set at various venues including the legendary 100 Club, The Cavern in Liverpool, The Colchester Arts Centre, Exchange in Bristol, and Wheelan's in Dublin. Several members of the band have collaborated with Iggy Pop in the past. Kevin Armstrong was Pop's musical director and also collaborated with Bowie a great deal. I knew the musicians would be more than good but I was kind of unsure if Katie Puckrik (who I only knew as the very likeable host of 90s TV hits like The Word and The Sunday Show) would be able to sing such amazing and much loved songs as 'Success' and 'Turn Blue.' Halfway through the run Clem Burke (who has played drums with Blondie, The Eurythmics, Nancy Sinatra, Joan Jet and many others tweeted: "Katie is fantastic and it’s just occurred to me she has joined the ranks of the other brilliant women I’ve been fortunate to play with: Debbie, Annie, Nancy, Wanda, The Go Go’s, & Joan!" And I feel I must say I thought Puckrick's performance couldn't have been better. She genuinely was fantastic and brilliant. To paraphrase the fantastic Mr Osterberg the show at The Lexington left everyone wanting to blast off on success, hop like a frog and do the twist. You can watch Clem Burke and Katie Puckrik discussing the project on London Live: HERE You can watch the band doing their version of The Passanger live in Ireland: HERE You can watch them doing Pretty Vacant in Essex : HERE My photos from the night are blurry and bad but I quite like them...























Bad photos and text by Harry Pye


No comments:

Post a Comment