Thursday 3 March 2022

Films featured in Tate Modern's Love and Loss exhibition

'Love and Loss' the third Inside Job staff exhibition. This time the curators are; Jasmine Kee, Lou Montignac, Cristina Petrella, Kenneth Price, and Andrew Wyatt.

The location of the show is: Tate Exchange, Level 5 Blavatnik Building, Tate Modern. On Thursday 17th, Fri 18th, Sat 19th, sun 20th, Mon 21st Tues 22nd and Wed 23rd. The Inside Job exhibition will be open to the public between 12 to 6pm.For more info: insidejobcollective@gmail.com



'Love and Loss' features miniature 2D and 3D works plus live art and film and video. Here is some info on 5 of the films in the show...


1) Thom Seaman has made a film called 'Canary.' He says: "Canary takes inspiration from the Barbican Estate, once a hive of activity but now eerily desolate. The imposing brutalist architecture set the stage of this reflection on our unsettled state of existence. Struggling against the burdens imposed by isolation, we reach out in our own way, loudly or quietly, but with no choice but to move forward."
Visit Thom's Instagram @thom76a his film is included on his profile.

2)Julia Tchoudinova has contributed a film in which she interviews Sarah Wheeler who sadly passed away in April 2016.
Sarah, who used singing as therapy for her mental health condition, was a founder of The Dragon Cafe - a local art cafe that was a project of the Mental Fight Club, which she was a founder as well. Julia says: "Sarah was an amazing person, she was extremely intelligent and caring. She managed to turn her own suffering into such a positive and helpful force for many people. You can watch Julia interview Sarah here: After Singing In The Church.





3)Madison McCutcheon. Above is a j-peg of a frame from Madison's animation which is entitled The Night.
Madison says: "Since childhood I’ve experienced vivid dreams that often left me dealing with emotional burdens from events that never occurred. In March 2020, I found myself living alone for the first time during a global pandemic that caused millions to lose their lives. Death became an all-consuming subject, an unavoidable focal point to any conversation, and it bore into my pre-existing anxieties. I suppose these circumstances coincided to provide me with a dream which is the motivation behind this cyclical animation.  In this dream I was standing and observing my left hand, which developed a portal into an endless, dark expanse. While gathering my bearings, I became drawn into a white sphere elevated in the space that radiated a sense of love and comfort. I remember thinking plainly to myself, “Am I dying?” and being completely eased at the possibility. I have since held this feeling, attempting to keep it afloat by making it the subject of my paintings, drawings, animations, poetry, and sculptures."
See the animation: here


4)Ricardo Gil(see above)Ricardo's artwork is a Mp4 file and is stored in the blockchain as an NFT

4)Olivia lloyd-Sherlock's video is called, 'At Home And In My Head.' Olivia says:
"I made the work as a surreal exploration of if memory was a place what would it look like, how would one interact with it and traverse it. Throughout the course of the video, a lonely figure navigates this imagined memory landscape and forms a relationship with it. The work explores the physicality of memory and how the past can attach itself to us.  Memories activate both the good and bad moments of our existence, holding within us the loss and love in our lives. The video attempts to display this dualism of memory, creating an ambiguous and mysterious world which immerses the viewer in an otherworldly landscape."
Watch 'At Home And In My Head': Here

For more info: insidejobcollective@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment